Isn’t it funny how the universe aligns in mysterious ways? Just as the cosmos brings changes and new beginnings, screen legend Julie Andrews pulls a plot twist on her fans by announcing her retirement from on-screen acting—much to the chagrin of “The Princess Diaries” enthusiasts eagerly awaiting the third installment.
In a recent tête-à-tête, Anne Hathaway, who’s stepping into the spotlight for this much-anticipated film, shared her thoughts on Andrews’ decision not to reprise her beloved role as Queen Clarisse Renaldi. Echoing the sentiments of many, Hathaway gushed over Andrews, acknowledging her profound impact on the realm of entertainment and our hearts. And while some might read the stars and wish for a celestial change of heart from Andrews, the future of “The Princess Diaries 3” presses on without her, leaving fans to ponder the cosmic whims separating us from our cherished stars.
If you’re ready to dive into the full story, check it out here: LEARN MORE.
Screen legend Julie Andrews recently confirmed that she has no plans to appear in the currently in-development “The Princess Diaries 3.” In a recent interview, Anne Hathaway, who is involved with the movie, broke her silence about her former costar opting not to return to her role as Queen Clarisse Renaldi.

Hathaway attended the recent D23 Expo on August 16. Notably, she was inducted as a Disney Legend, the storied company’s highest honor for those who have contributed to its legacy. While on the red carpet, she spoke to Entertainment Tonight, with the reporter asking her how it felt to “take the reins” of the film, given Andrews’ decision not to appear.
The “Devil Wears Prada 2” star said, “First of all, I just want to say, if she has a change of heart, we’re down. Just anything, really.” After that, the actress stated that she and everyone else involved with the film would like to remain “respectful” of Andrews’ wishes not to be involved in the planned film.
Hathaway highlighted her former costar’s legacy, saying, “For goodness sake, if anybody has contributed to the world of entertainment and to our collective joy, it’s her. Whatever she wants, we completely understand.”

Hathaway continued her thoughts about Andrews by admitting that there were real attempts made to convince the 90-year-old actress to sign on to appear in “The Princess Diaries 3.” According to her, “We did push really hard to see if she would want to do it.”
From there, she responded to questions about what moviegoers could expect from the film. The “Odyssey” star stated, “I just want it to be fun.” She then mentioned the movie’s legacy, noting that “women who were six when the first one came out” now, in some cases, have children of their own.
She continued, “I want them to feel like they’re bringing their children to something that matters to them. A core memory for them. Something that was a part of their heart and their lives.”
Toward the end of the clip, Hathaway stated her desire to do the film “justice” as well as “taking the time that it takes” to create something special.

In recent years, Andrews has provided her work to several projects, including Netflix’s “Bridgerton.” However, she recently spoke to InStyle and revealed why she turned down “The Princess Diaries 3,” stating that she’s retired from appearing on screen.
The “Mary Poppins” alum said, “I think I probably passed – I think I’m retired, really, would be about the best description for that. [The film’s creative team] asked me all last year if I would be keen to do it. It was very, very hard to say ‘no,’ but I did because I thought I had a wonderful ride, and this one I felt would flourish very well and wouldn’t need Granny going in there at my age.”
Previously, in 2022, Andrews interviewed with Access Hollywood, saying she didn’t think the film would be made. She said, “I think we know that it’s probably not going to be possible. It was talked about very shortly after ‘2’ came out.” The actress went on to say that she felt it had been too long since the second film’s release for it to make sense.

Hathaway interviewed with PEOPLE in August 2026. During the discussion, she was asked what she could tease about “The Princess Diaries 3.” She responded, “Well, I can’t answer that without giving away some of the plot points we’re taking, but I’d say that Mia and I probably have very similar values.”
Hathaway explained, “I think that we want to see a world that’s full of equality and full of love. I think she wants love and I want her to have love.”

In additon to having a hand in developing “The Princess Diaries 3,” Hathaway is both expecting her third child and also starring in several films this year. The latest of her new movies, “The House on Oak Street,” debuted in movie theaters on August 14.
The film was directed by David Robert Mitchell and also stars Ewan McGregor, Maisy Stella, and Christian Convery. Regarding reviews, it has an 86% positive rating from critics on Rotten Tomatoes. Next, she will star in “Verity,” which is set for release on October 2.
Auto Amazon Links: No products found.